Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Farewell to my childhood home

I just spent 5 days at my mother's house, which was built in 1946, sorting, cleaning and reminiscing. My mother died at the beginning of February at the age of 93.

Today I was sitting in her back yard while two nice gentlemen were loading a bunch of her belongings into a truck to be donated to charity. I started to reminisce about growing up in that tiny house with the big backyard. I noticed a hummingbird come buzzing by some of the geranium that were in bloom. This was the spot that my dad built the playhouse, which is no longer there. We had many great times in the playhouse,. Then a squirrel started checking out the apricot tree while birds were chirpping in the avocado tree that I planted from a seed when I was 10 years old. This house has so many memories. I was there to say my farewell to it.
This is a picture of Steven playing our childhood toy violin where the playhouse used to be. I think he is playing "tiptoe through the tulips". He is actually playing the violin like a guitar.


Here are Steve, Katie and Megan relaxing in the backyard after hours of work last Saturday. Notice the Tito's cup. I ate there 5 times in the 5 days . I guess I over did Tito's, but I don't know when I'll be back. Farewell and thanks for the memories.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, Carol - this made me teary. Thanks for sharing your memories and the photos of your mom's beautiful garden and home.

Drew & Erica said...

Those are such nice memories, and I'm glad you got the pics of the yellow house.

Christie's Commentary said...

Titos is always comforting :D