Sunday, July 13, 2008

Food Tour of Canada

Vancouver

Here is a short food tour of Canada. I'm sorry that I didn't start taking pictures of food sooner because ate some great stuff. We didn't want to eat out all the time and this night we were tired. We bought wine, cheese, fruit, bread and a dessert at Granville Island Marketplace and had a simple dinner in our room with the Choys. We followed it up with a game of deminishing bridge. This meal was actually quite good. I highly recommend the Granville Island market. It was amazing.

Our last night in Vancouver, we meet Bruce and Anita for dinner. Bruce was an RA in the dorm with me. Later he followed Chet as the assistant head resident. So, we go back a long way. The last time I was in Vancouver (over 30 years ago) was for Bruce and Anita's wedding. Dinner was great and the visit was wonderful. Now Bruce and Anita have to come visit us.
Rocky Moutaineer Train


Here are Paula and Chet eating their breakfast. All of the meals on the train were really amazing. We ate in a dining car with white table clothes and had lots to choose from. One of my favorites was eggs benedict.














Here is the first course fruit plate for breakfast. The light brown thing is a goose berry. The berry is orange in color and makes for an interesting presentation.
















This is the eggs benedict. Yum!













Here are two of the desserts served on the train. I think this one is chocolate mousse in a chocolate cup and a raspberry tart. Now how could that be bad. Often Don decided not to eat the dessert and I was forced to eat two. It was a sacrifice that I was willing to make. Maybe that is what makes for such a strong marriage after 36 years.














Each of these plates serve two people. This was a fruit tartlet on the outside with a light cake in the center. The plate was dotted with raspberry sauce. Nice presentation! Oh, the taste was to die for.















Can you believe that I only took one picture of an entrée? They were all outstanding. I was just too busy eating. This was the salmon. They brought us wine with dinner and lunch. They actually offered us wine before breakfast. I decided that I shouldn't have wine that early, so I got bailey's irish cream. That was a lot more sensible.














Canmore



Here are three dishes that we had at The Wood in Canmore. This is a town next to Banff where we stayed in a condo. The condo was great because it was brand new. We may have been the first people to stay in the unit we had.


These dishes are butternut squash Ravioli, salmon and ribs. They were great. I was glad that we moved from outdoors to inside before they served our meal because by the time our meal came, it was pouring outside. It pays to travel with a Meteorologist.



















Banff



This was good chinese food. The most significant part of it was that we took the gondola to the top of the moutain. The view from this place was amazing. We looked down on all of Banff, the famous Banff Fairmont Hotel and the Bow River winding through town. I'll be posting those pictures later. This is just our food tour.




Canmore



Here we are again in Canmore at my favorite restaurant, The Bistro. Their food was the best we had on the trip. The dishes are Pork Roast, Cassoulet and Salmon. Not only was the presentation wonderful, but they were all cooked perfectly. This restaurant wasn't very busy and it should have been. It was a great place at a reasonable price. So, if you ever get to Alberta, I recommend The Bistro. Oh, then there was dessert. We split two desserts. The chocolate mousse was excellent, but the vanilla and chocolate cream brulee was even better.








Lake Louise


I wouldn't be right unless I included a basic pizza. We had this at the Lake Louise Inn. Even though it only looks like just a pizza, it was really good. The crust was crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. This pizza was carmelized onions, mushrooms and pesto. As you can see, I forgot to take a picture until after we started to devour it.











If anyone is going to British Columbia or Alberta I hope you enjoy some of the same food that we did. Now I have to diet because I managed to collect a couple of extra pounds, but it was worth it.

1 comment:

Drew & Erica said...

Wow, it looks so good. I'm a little bit depressed that I'm heading off to Subway for lunch instead of eating food from your pictures :(